Monday, June 18, 2007

Life is fragile

by Samuel Wong


Life is fragile.
At any single moment, the smooth sailing momentum we've built up can swing completely out of control. Swing; literally.

On Friday night, I was walking home from my friend's house, around mid-night. As I was crossing one of the roads, I noticed flashing lights and the dying siren of an ambulance further down the road. Being the nosey parker I am, I decided to check it out.
A car had swung a complete 180 degrees, slammed into a tress and swung a further 90 degrees into a ditch. About a third of the car had disappeared into the dent, leaving the windshield completely obliterated. The driver and another passenger had already been carted away, leaving a 20-something year old guy stuck in the back. leg pinned and broken against the front seat. As the fire department tried to figure out how to extract the poor bloke, a large crowd started to gather. All nosey parkers like me. The adults were shaking their heads, some were just staring. Some 'carefree' teenagers were grinning, admiring the wreck and wondering how it happened. I dropped a silent prayer that no one would die.
Later at home after taking a shower, I lied down on my bed. That was when it hit me. That life can end at any moment. Almost everyone lives on the daily basis thinking that they'll grow old then die. Most of them are right, some are just deluded. It gave me such a sense of urgency, knowing that so many of my friends still did not know the Lord. My old best friend, Russell, was no longer a best friend. He was just another face in the crowd. My best chance to share the Lord with him had come and pass. Friends come and friends go. It's a fact of life. So for however brief a time they are our friends, we should seize the opportunity to do what maybe no one else might do. We should share Jesus with them.

After all, life is fragile.

No comments: